Who says you can’t play with your food? These Tuna Avocado Cups are one of our favorites to throw together, as it is fun and makes for a nice presentation with minimal effort.
Traditional “tuna salad” is played out. Mayo? No thanks. Celery? Boring. Mustard? I’ll refrain.
Here, we substituted crispy and delicious Korean pear for the celery and we’ve added sun flower seeds for an additional crunch. The creaminess of the avocado gets rid of the need for mayonnaise, and the walnut oil lends even more fatty goodness.
Walnut oil happens to also be one of our favorite oils to prepare cold foods with (not to be heated!), for its impressive omega profile and deliciously delicate flavor. We also seasoned it with pure mustard powder, to give it a nice zesty flavor sans sulfates and added sugar.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 2
Tuna Avocado Cups Ingredients
– One 5-oz. can of albacore tuna (in water, avoid brands with any additional additives) drained
– One ripe avocado
– Juice of one lemon
– 2 green onions, minced
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1 tbsp. walnut oil
– 1 tbsp. capers
– ½ of a Korean pear, finely diced
– about 5 cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters
– 1 jalapeno, finely diced (optional)
– ½ tsp. paprika
– ½ tsp. mustard powder
– 1 tsp. dulse flakes
– 1 tbsp. sunflower seeds (activated, of course)
– Pink Himalayan salt and black pepper, to taste
Tuna Avocado Cups Instructions
– Mix together all ingredients (except the avocado) in a bowl
– Cut a large avocado in half and divide the tuna mixture into two scoops and place over avocado halves.
– Serve over arugula. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, enjoy!